Ian Ashdown, P. Eng., FIES
Ian Ashdown, P. Eng., FIES, was a renowned distinguished individual who made significant contributions in the field of lighting design, research and development, and software engineering. Until his death on June 14, 2023, Ian was the Senior Scientist and President of SunTracker Technologies – “Integrity in Lighting” in Victoria, BC. Ian had dedicated his life to developing cutting-edge lighting design software for various applications, including architecture, horticulture, entertainment, and health.
Ian has amassed a wealth of expertise and accomplishments throughout his remarkable career spanning over four decades.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science (University of British Columbia, 2001)
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (University of British Columbia, 1973)
- Senior Scientist for SunTracker Technologies Ltd. (2011- present)
- Chief Scientist for Lighting Analysts Inc. (1998-present)
- Senior Scientist for Cooledge Lighting (2009-2014)
- Senior Research Scientist for Philips Lighting (2007-2010)
- Senior Research Scientist for TIR Systems Limited (2000-2007)
- Head of Research for Ledalite Architectural Products (1990-2002)
- Senior Software Engineer for Glenayre Research & Development (1986-1990)
- Senior Electrical Engineer for Vancouver Skytrain Project (1981-1986)
- Recipient of the 2017 Illuminating Engineering Society Medal
- Fellow of the Illuminating Engineering Society (2001)
- IES Sky Glow Committee Vice Chair (2017-present)
- IES Computer Committee Chair (2009-2010)
- SPIE Solid State Lighting Conference co-chair (2005-2009)
- Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) Fellow (2001)
- IES Calculations Committee Chair (1998-2000)
- Editor of Chapter Nine of the IESNA Lighting Handbook, Ninth Edition (2000)
- International Lighting Commission (CIE) Advisory Member
- Optical Society of America Senior Member
- Council for Optical Radiation Measurement (CORM) member
- Journal of the Optical Society of America Technical reviewer
- Leukos technical reviewer
- Morgan Kauffman / Elsevier manuscript reviewer
- Author of Radiosity: A Programmer’s Perspective (John Wiley & Sons, 1994)
- Horticultural Lighting Committee Chair for ANSI/IES RP-45-21, Recommended Practice: Horticultural Lighting
- 42+ academic papers, 98+ technical articles, more than 136 patents and patents pending, 6+ book chapters, et cetera.
Ian’s exceptional contributions have been recognized and honoured by his peers. He was awarded the Illuminating Engineering Society Medal in 2017 and became a Fellow of the Illuminating Engineering Society in 2001. Ian has also served in various leadership positions, including Vice Chair of the IES Sky Glow Committee (2017-present), Chair of the IES Computer Committee (2009-2010), and co-chair of the SPIE Solid State Lighting Conference (2005-2009). Moreover, he has made significant contributions as an author, reviewer, and advisory member for prominent organizations and publications.
With an enduring passion for mathematics and an unwavering fascination with light, Ian delved into diverse areas of exploration. His wide-ranging interests encompass photometric theory, eigenanalysis, genetic algorithms, and holographic techniques. Up to his death, he was actively engaged in several projects, such as intelligent lighting controls, real-time dynamic lighting design software, horticultural electric lighting, and daylighting.
When not immersed in his professional endeavours, Ian found solace in bike riding and hiking at elevations above 8,000 feet in the Canadian Rockies.
Ian looked at this ‘work’ as a hobby, something he loved to do, it was fun for him. For an example of this, listen to his “It’s just a hobby” podcast.
For more information about Ian Ashdown and his work, you can visit the following links: